osidiano: A chibi Metroid (Snowflake2020)
[personal profile] osidiano
Snowflake Challenge promotional banner featuring a wrapped giftbox with a snowflake on the gift tag. Text: Snowflake Challenge January 1-31


Challenge #15

Talk about Your Snowflake Experience. What did you come into it thinking or wanting? Did you get that? Did you get something else? Did you learn anything new about fandom, others, yourself? Are you glad you did it or thought it a waste of time and energy? You can tell us. We’re all here to learn and grow. What did you learn? How did you grow?


So, I came into Snowflake on a low note, as I'm sure most people did because 2020 sucked, and I was really really wanting to get even the tiniest feeling of joy and self-fulfillment that I used to have from fandom again. I was hoping for some bright spots and a sense of community. And I got that! I'm reading more fanfic, and trying to get through some meta. I have a bunch of fics and resources and wishlists bookmarked for later. It's been really nice and I'm glad I decided to participate and allocate time for it, even if I couldn't commit to being a mod this year.

A lot of people wished for folks to be more inclusive and to listen to POC fandom voices during the Wishlist Challenge, and I'm reading through the linked posts and trying to educate myself. It seems like most of the conversation has been happening on Twitter, which is definitely not part of my sandbox, so there's a lot of stuff that I'm reading about for the first time. It's a little bit exhausting, and totally depressing to think that that is some people's whole fandom experience, all the time. But I am glad that I'm doing it, even if it's hard and messy and uncomfortable. I feel like it's especially hard because there aren't a lot of acceptable spaces for me to talk about what I'm reading. And like, a lot of people have said a lot of stuff about it in their blog posts and on their Tumblrs and in their Twitter threads (and there's like a college text on it, but idk if I can stomach dropping $60 for the ebook knowing that it's written for other academics when I don't have a background anywhere near this, but I digress), but I recognize that I am early in the journey and it would be really douchey of me to comment or try to summarize on those blog posts/threads, because that's their space and they don't owe me their labor but I do need to converse to get through it, you know? I have to hear myself start to make the problematic rationalize before I really get it and go "OH. Oh, that's . . . yeah, I get how that's racist now." So yeah. That's been my big learning/growing thing from Snowflake. :B

Date: 2021-01-30 10:41 am (UTC)
sjh2009: (Snowflake3)
From: [personal profile] sjh2009
I'm so glad to hear that Snowflake has helped fan the spark of fandom back into a flame for you. I was out of fandom for four years thanks to various things happen in real life and joining Snowflake last year helped me fall in love with fandom all over again.

The world is a very different place from the one I knew as a young person. There is so much more awareness of race, colour and gender and I frequently find myself having to google words and acronyms just to understand, but I am learning and the challenge has given me a far better understanding of how the world is for other people.

Thank you for joining us and taking part in the challenge. Snowflake wouldn't be the success it is without our wonderful participants :)

Date: 2021-02-01 08:37 pm (UTC)
sjh2009: (Atlantis)
From: [personal profile] sjh2009
All these new platforms confuse me! I do have a Twitter account but that's mostly for news headlines, breaking news, local news, and cats, lol. I don't do fandom on other platforms and, fortunately, Ive managed to avoid any of the confrontations or drama within fandom, although I have a couple of friends who were, sadly, forced out of various fandoms due to confrontations and bullying as other people didn't agree with what they had written, it's so unnecessary, fandom is big enough for everyone to write what they want.

Profile

osidiano: A chibi Metroid (Default)
Osidiano

November 2024

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 24th, 2026 04:28 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios